Mt Stromlo Director's Residence wins 2 Major Awards
The Director’s Residence at Mt Stromlo, originally known as Observatory House, was first completed in 1928 as a home for the founding director Walter Geoffrey Duffield and his family. It was designed by the Federal Capital Commission and was regarded as one of the grandest homes in Canberra, complete with a Steinway grand piano, an elaborate jarrah staircase and individually designed fireplaces and sinks in the bedrooms.
The residence was a key social venue in the early days of Canberra playing host to Prime Ministers, politicians, industry chiefs and even international royalty, including the Prince of Siam. Over the years it was home to seven other Observatory Directors and several other families, including the Braddick family, who occupied the home when the 2003 firestorm hit. The firestorm gutted and substantially destroyed all but the Residence’s façade.
In 2014, Shaw Building Group started work on the reconstruction of the Residence with a modest budget of $1M. The project was delivered six months later – on time and within budget, and without compromise to the integrity and quality of the original design intent. The facility is now a museum open for public display.
The project won two Awards for Construction Excellence in the 2015 round:
- AIB (ACT) Professional Excellence Award
- AIB (National) Certificate of High Commendation